Life After

This is a work of medium-length fiction in the genre of Trashy Romance. Sorry, no sex, but maybe a little bodice-ripping. For positive feedback, I could add some more spice. I suggest reading the oldest post first, because I will publish a little at a time, to keep you coming back. Constructive criticism welcome, but keep in mind my fragile ego. Oh, and it's copyrighted, so no plagiarism, please.

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Thirty Two

Emily felt instantly as if a weight had been lifted from her chest. After Ellen left the kitchen, she called Sarah.

“Hello?” a sleepy voice said.

“Oh, shit, Sarah, I’m sorry, I woke you up,” Emily said.

“’S’okay, Em. I worked last night. What’s up?”

“When do you work again?” Emily asked. She knew Sarah would not sleep again when she told her what was up, so decided to tell her only if she might be able to come along.

“Monday,” Sarah replied.

Good, Emily thought. I can’t do this alone. “Trent called,” she said, hoping her dramatic presentation would catch Sarah’s attention. There was a pause on the line. She heard Sarah scrambling around in her bed.

“Really?” she asked. Emily detected a note of disbelief in her voice.

“Yes, really,” Emily said, with mock indignation.

“Hey, why are you asking when I work again? That wasn’t just to make conversation, was it?”

Emily shook her head to clear it of Sarah’s veiled warning. “No, it wasn’t,” she admitted.

“What’s going on?”

“He’s invited me to their show Friday night.”

Sarah spoke in measured tones, barely suppressing obvious excitement.

“And you are telling me this… just to make me jealous?” she asked, and Emily could hear her grinning.

“He’s giving me two tickets. Do you want to go?”

Sarah screamed, forcing Emily to hold the phone away from her ear. She laughed. “I guess that’s a ‘yes’?” Emily asked. She couldn’t bear to tell Sarah that she was planning to tell Trent that they couldn’t see each other anymore.

When Sarah had regained control of her faculties, she accepted the invitation. Emily, trying to laugh, said, “How old are you, anyway? It’s a rock concert, not the lottery!”

“You don’t understand, Em. I love this band! I have been a member of their fan club for years. I remember when they played the Marble Club in town on weeknights. I was so jealous when you got to meet them! I have always had a major thing for Peter.”

“You are a member of their fan club?” Emily asked, teasing. “I had no idea.”

“You shut up. Oh, Em, it’ll be just like old times! Going out on the town together… I’m so excited!”

“Well, almost like old times, except that we’ll be accompanied by my children and my mother-in-law,” Emily said. She explained the plan.

“Well, okay,” Sarah agreed. “So we go in your car. At least it’s not a minivan.”
Emily laughed. “So you won’t have any trouble getting away?” she asked.

“It’s why I stay single and childless, baby. No one to answer to. I’ll be there. I’ll be the one in the miniskirt, with the pierced bellybutton.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home